I love Christmas and I love the feast that comes with it!!!!
Our blog post this Christmas features the Chrismas Turkey cooked and prepared by Randell Smith from The Kitchen at Weylandts.
Have a wonderful Christmas with family and friends, happy feasting and happy cooking.
The Christmas Turkey Recipe
Ingredients for Turkey
1 whole turkey (or 2 chickens)
375g streaky bacon
250g salted butter
50g fresh sage
Ingredients for stuffing
300g lean pork mince
2 onions finely chopped
1 green chili – seeds removed (optional)
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
2cm piece of ginger finely chopped
2 stalks celery finely chopped
125g streaky bacon finely chopped
30g fresh sage
50ml dried sage
pinch salt and pepper
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1. Finely chop and fry the onions, chili, garlic, ginger and celery until fragrant and onions are translucent
2. Add chopped bacon – cook slightly and set aside until cooled. Once cooled add the lean pork mince
3. Add seasoning – fresh & dry sage, salt & pepper
4. Add breadcrumbs to the mix
5. Add egg to the mix and blend together using your hands
6. Fill turkey cavity with the stuffing mix
7. Place butter and fresh sage evenly under the breast, drumsticks and thigh skin
8. Wrap the breast, drumsticks and thighs with the streaky bacon
9. Double wrap the turkey dish with foil
10. Cook at 170 degrees celsius for 30 min per 500g
After 3/4 of cooking time remove the foil and continue cooking to allow the bacon to brown and crisp up.
Basting the turkey often with the bacon and butter drippings from the pan.
Once the turkey as been in the oven for the duration of the total cooking time, remove it from the roasting tray, baste again and allow to rest for 20 minutes before carving.
Cooking time: 30 minutes for every 500g
Oven temperature: 170 degrees celcius
For any turkey or chicken leftovers you could:
- Use the bones in a delicious homemade broth
- Pulled Pork Taco’s
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays x