An olive oil cake happens to be one of my favourite deserts – it’s super moist on the inside and perfectly golden with the slightest crunch on the edges…… not too sweet and pairs so well with fresh fruit, compotes or some vanilla ice-cream.
I was so excited when Shelly Conyers from Naked by Nature said she was adding this Lemon Olive Oil cake made with almond flour to her cooking workshop we recently hosted. It was the perfect way to end our delicious meal.
Lemon Olive Oil Cake
- 2 cups almond flour
- ¼ cup tapioca flour (gluten free flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 eggs (separated)
- 1 cup full cream yogurt
- ½ cup pure maple syrup or honey
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest
- ¼ cup lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1 Tbsp icing sugar (for dusting)
- Fresh berries
- Preheat the oven to 180°. Lighly grease a 20cm cake pan (preferably a spring-form pan) with olive oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, bicarb of soda and salt.
- In another bowl – whisk together olive oil and egg yolks until emulsified.
- Stir in yogurt, maple syrup, lemon zest and lemon juice – combine well
- Lastly, stir in the egg whites (they do not need to be beaten)
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and combine well, then pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 35 – 45 minutes or until the cake is lightly browned and toothpick comes out clean.
- Baking time will depend on your oven as well as the size pan you use.
- Cool for 10 minutes, run a knife around the edge of the pan and invert onto a cooling rack.
- Serve with a dusting of icing sugar and fresh berries.
Perfect with a summer lunch and some delicious bubbles!
Images taken by Brad Peens Photography
Recipe from Naked by Nature (Shelly Conyers)