With a few simple tweaks you can change regular energy balls into a delicious, healthy and hormone-balancing treat with addition of medicinal herbs.
These are enhanced with Maca, an adaptogenic herb used to reduce anxiety and depression and is rich in essential amino acids, iodine, iron, and magnesium, as well as health-promoting plant sterols that possess a wide range of activities that support adrenal and hormone function. It has been used to support fertility, and reduce menstrual and menopausal symptoms as well. It is also known to boost libido too!!!
In addition, you’re blending highly Omega-3 rich walnuts, with a rich nutrient boost from cacao for powerful anti-inflammatory and mood-boosting impact. Cinnamon has been shown to reduce insulin resistance common in women in PCOS and metabolic syndrome. The right herbal blends upgrade your usual energy bites into powerhouse bites that nourish and boost your hormonal health at the same time.
- 1½ cups walnuts
- ½ cup dates, pitted
- 4 Tbsp almond butter (nut butter)
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- 2-4 Tbsp's maca powder
- ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
- coconut and orange zest
- Grind your walnuts in your food processor until they are close to finely ground
- Add in the dates and grind to form a thicker blend
- Add in the almond butter and mix until a dough forms
- Add in maca, cinnamon and a 1/4 cup of the cacao powder
- Form round balls using about 1T of dough per ball
- Roll them in your hands, then roll them in the extra cacao powder and sprinkle with coconut, orange zest and some extra crushed walnuts